Pages

Sunday 1 December 2013

Day of the Doctor


I finally caught up with some of the 50th Anniversary Dr Who shows that were on a while back -  I missed the actual day of televisual celebrations as I had retreated from civilisation for a very pleasant Birthday weekend in the Lakes.

Anyhow, very much enjoyed the Day of the Doctor - especially Tom Baker's appearance. Nice to see the Zygons back again, although I reckon they were a little overshadowed by the events on Gallifrey. They definitely deserve their own episode at some point.

All this Who goodness inspired me to dig out my old Blacktree minis and take some fresh photos - that and a great email from fellow Oldhammerer, Lenihan inviting me to join in a Dalek Civil War game as soon as his Black Tree Design order arrives. He's assembled a mighty Imperial Dalek force so I've reinforced my existing Genesis/Renegade force and look forward to a bit of Invasion Earth action in the New Year. Oh I should mention Warlord Paul is waiting in the wings to take command of a U.N.I.T. Taskforce to try and dissuade the Dalek menace from obliterating Earth in their little spat!

Enough jibber jabber - here's some new pics of my whole Dr Who collection.








The Ancient One and his Haemovores


Davros and his tin pot Dictators.

Tobias Vaughn, Packer and his Henchmen - along with their dubious Cybermen Allies!


Good old Bill Hartnell as the 1st Doctor, along with Barbara and Ian. Damn - just realised I forgot to order Susan while she was half price yesterday!


Patrick Troughton as the 2nd Doctor with Zoe and Jamie.


The Brig, flanked by Captain Yates and Sergeant Benton plus two squads of U.N.I.T.'s finest, including a Heavy Waepons squad and two Landies.


Yates taking charge of the Bren team, while the Mortar lays down covering fire.




Warriors of the Glorious Sontaran Empire hot on the heels of one of their sworn enemies - the Rutan!


I had, and still have, vague plans for a WW2 scenario involving the Sontarans hunting for an escaped Rutan prisoner. The only complication being that the Rutan has fled to the Eastern Front and taken the form of one of the Russian soldiers - just before a big push by the opposing German Fallshirmjaeger units!


The Ice Warriors - they'll be getting reinforcements in the form of the Ice Warrior collection set - be nice to have a few more poses, especially as the Citadel chaps are a bit on the small side. Always been a favourite of mine - unfortunate placing of a burning torch in this clip though!


John Pertwee as the 3rd Doctor with the lovely Jo Grant and Sarah Jane Smith. Liz Shaw should also be joining him soon...


The inimitable Tom Baker as the 4th Doctor with Leela and K9. Oh and his bag of Jelly Babies!


The Doctor I grew up with - Sylvester McCoy and Ace with another incarnation of the Tardis - unbased this time so it can feel as home on a space ship as disused quarry!


The Silurians and Sea Devils with assorted Prehistoric friends. I wrote a series of scenarios as part of a Silurian campaign ages ago - Vengeance from Below - must get round to playing it some day...


Behold the terrible Pantomine hors.. I mean Myrka!

.
Ichtar, sole survivor of the Silurian ruling Triad


A NanoTyrannus from Copplestone I think. Bit more convincing than this fellow!


Sea Devil Warriors - wonder if anyone makes good Royal Navy Marines?


Classic Ral Partha Allosaurus!


 Quite proud of this guy - I love the Virgin Dr Who novel Blood Heat, and had to have a go at filling out the Silurian forces with some of the ideas from the book - hence Silurian Pterosaur riders.





Might have to have a go at this fellow from the novel's front cover...


15 comments:

  1. A fabulous collection which I've thoroughly enjoyed browsing through. Whilst on the subjects of things Who last weekend I saw 'The Nightmare Man' (1981), which was produced by Robert Holmes and directed by Douglass Camfield who're both Who veterans. Highly recommended to those who ain't seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers buddy - Nightmare Man looks interesting. Not something I've come across before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, hadn't realised the extent of your collection! Very inspiring. In addition to the daleks, couldn't resist putting in an order for one or two extra things, including Jamie to see whether he'll fit with my McDeath clansmen.

    By the way, hate to break it to you but it was the 50th anniversary, not the 25th (25th was back in 1988 with Remembrance of the the Daleks)... tempus fugit, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - I appear to be in some kind of Time Vortex!

      Fixed!

      Yep - I also got tempted by some other bits - a few other companions as they were 50% off, as well as a second UNIT Heavy Weapons section. Oh and another Dalek patrol - shame I couldn't squeeze any Autons or Yeti in though...

      Delete
  4. Lovely Who collection Thantsants, they deserve a run out on the old tabletop soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blood Heat! Damn that's one of three New Adventures I hadn't read!

    Also you make these look great which is much more than can be said for BTD versions...I was all inspired to play some Dr Who went to the store and felt a bit let down by the sculpts are there any other ranges out there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the other way round - it's one of the few I have read!

    I think the only other range I can think of are the bits and pieces Citadel made back in the 80's - some shonky sculpts again though and definitely on the 25mm side.

    Here's a list of other ranges but I reckon the old Harlequin/BTD stuff is the best - there's a few ugly mugs but they're not so bad with a lick of paint.

    You might want to check out Heresy and Hasslefree too. Crooked Dice has some useful bits too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for that somehow I didn't get this notification but I got the reply to Dave below aghhhh the internet.

      Delete
    2. No worries - the internet is a fickle mistress!

      Delete
  7. I cried a bit looking at this image. Dammit that is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave - I have tears in my eyes thinking about all the rebasing I want to do to get rid of that lurid green static grass! What was I thinking?

      More Dr Who goodness to follow soon...

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Late to the party, but I noticed your plea for Royal Marines - it looks like a company called "Gripping Beast" does a Falklands RM range which might be close enough for your purposes: http://www.grippingbeast.com/shop.php?CatID=141

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - good to have at least one responsible person at the party!
      I've seen the Gripping Beast Falklands minis used really well in Dr Who games. They definitely look the part.

      Cheers for the reminder!

      Delete